Wednesday, 19 October 2016

WEDNESDAY NIGHT NEWS – Newcastle, Weddings and A Really Big Catch Up


Goodness me! It’s been over a calendar month since my last post – a new record!

Apologies for my prolonged absence; I promise I haven’t been neglecting the writing side of things. In fact, part of the reason I’ve been so quiet is that I’ve been massively busy doing all sorts of new and exciting things. What things, you ask? Well…
  • I did a set at Green Fest in the Nottingham Arboretum (one of my favourite outdoor spaces in the city)
  • I performed at Speech Therapy and had a wonderful time giving some of my more seldom-read poems a good airing
  • I had a supremely terrible gig in a Derby pub theatre, completely dying on my arse – so much so that I could hear the tumbleweed rolling across the stage 
  • I had a marvellous adventure to the Peak District to film some of my poems, alongside a band of DIY Poets, who were doing the same (Plus, there was ice cream!)
  • I went down to the Fens to start the scheming for next year’s Fenland Poet Laureate Awards, which are shaping up to be really exciting indeed
  • I started working with the Nottingham Women’s Cultural Exchange as part of the Write Here: Sanctuary project, which is just such a fantastic project, I could talk about it all day and I promise I'll write a full post about it soon, because it deserves its own one!
  • I recited a few rhymes at House of Verse for the Oxjam takeover in Leicester
  • And I was teamed with the very wonderful Chris McLoughlin at Poetercize (the Poetry Gameshow) at Hockley Hustle AND we managed to win the game and everything!!

This post would be far too long if I spoke about all these things in detail, so instead here are a couple of photos that I hope give you an idea of what I've been up to:

Making a very earnest face at Green Fest 

Getting ready for epic cobblestone-based filming in the Peak District

My Poetercize outfit (what a plonker!)

Spinning some tales at House of Verse

Massive Ice Cream!! (and I ate all of it!)

Upcoming gigs:
This Thursday (20th October) I’m going to be doing a few poems at Stanza at The Exchange in South Shields, and I’m really looking forward to it! It'll be great to experience the spoken word scene up in Newcastle, as it's a city I've never been to before! I can't wait to check it out!

Stanza starts around 7:30pm, and I’ll be the nervous one at the back of the room with no friends – please come and say ‘hi’ if you can!

Then, on Saturday I’ll be up in Richmond in Yorkshire for the wedding of my beautiful friends Catie and Ben. The two of them very kindly asked me to write them a poem for the event, and I’m massively excited/terrified about reading it out during the ceremony!

So. Much. Pressure!

That being said, I’m actually surprised at how much I like the poem that I ended up writing, so hopefully that will come through when I read it out. It’s about stars and space and I’m hoping to record a video version of it soon – keep your eyes peeled for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment